Music festival season is upon us. And with it? A sea of wardrobe opportunities to show off all that hard barre work in style. In honor of Coachella (and just about every other festival, pool party, beach day and vacation we’re planning for the next four months), we tapped Beverly Hills studio instructor Lyndsey M. for a workout routine that will step up your crop top and cut-offs game in no time.
If you live in Los Angeles, be sure to check out our Coachella themed classes at the Beverly Hills studio. We enlisted the help of renowned DJ, Caroline D’Amore, to curate playlists inspired by this year’s headliners. Scroll to the bottom for more info!
Follow the below workout 4-5 times a week leading up to the big event!
• From a kneeling position, place your forearms on the floor shoulder-width apart, fingertips forward in line with your elbows and elbows directly underneath your shoulders.
• Step your feet back and straighten your legs so that your body forms a straight line from your head to your heels
Pro tip: Make sure your abs are deeply engaged, your shoulders draw down your back and your gaze is slightly forward of your hands to keep your neck in line with your spine.
Reps: Do this 3x through. Holding for 30 seconds, 45 seconds, and finally 60 seconds.
Targets: Entire body with focus on core strength
• Grab a heavy set of weights (5-8lbs). Take a wide stance. Your feet should turn out naturally from your hips and be wide enough apart so that you can lower your hips to knee level.
• Flip your palms up to the ceiling with elbows towards side of your body. Bring the weights up straight towards your shoulders and back down towards your thighs.
Challenge: As you curl your biceps up, take mini-bends in the legs (pulses), keeping the seat at knee level and your spine straight.
Reps: 2 sets of 20-25 bicep curls with or without pulsing legs
Targets: Biceps and thighs
• Sit on the floor with your knees bent and your feet flat on the floor in front of you, about hip-width apart. Place your hands about 5 or 6 inches behind you with your fingertips facing forward.
• Lift your hips off the floor a few inches and shift your body weight back toward your hands.
• Bend and straighten your elbows and do not lock your arms or let your seat touch the floor.
Reps: 2 sets of 20 reps.
• Keep your upper body straight with your shoulders back and relaxed. Step your right foot back, keeping your right heel off the ground. Lower your hips until both knees are bent at about a 90-degree angle. Make sure your front knee is directly above your ankle.
• Reach both arms up ((option to hold playground ball)) and begin pulsing your back knee down while simultaneously pulling your elbows down towards your waistline.
Reps: 2 sets of 30 pulses/squeezes on each leg
Targets: Glutes, calves, hamstrings and quadriceps
• Start with feet in a small “V” position (heels glued together and toes 2 inches apart).
• Incline your body forward at a 45-degree angle.
• Bend your knees and slide your right leg back two feet behind you, crossing your body so that your right foot is on the floor lined up behind your left shoulder.
• Keep your back heel high and your front foot flat with your arms out to the sides and palms facing up (option to grab a light set of weights- 2-4lbs).
• Lower your back knee towards the floor and lift up and down an inch from there. As your back knee lowers pulse your arms up.
Pro Tip: Make sure to keep your hips and shoulders squared and the front knee stable over the ankle.
Reps: 2 sets of 30 on each leg
Targets: Inner and outer thighs, core and triceps
• Start seated with your right leg at a 90 degree angle in front of you and your left leg at a 90 degree angle behind you. Bring your hands straight in line with the shin of your right leg.
• Bring your back thigh as far behind you as possible, making sure your back knee is behind your front hip bone so there is no crease in your pants and tilt your knee lower than your foot. Raise the left leg off the floor.
Reps:: 2 sets of 30 lifts on each leg
Targets: Seat, Hips and Waist
• Lie flat and bring knees directly over hips, shins should be parallel to the floor with toes extended outwards.
• Curl head, neck, and shoulders off the floor with hands behind head, elbows wide, supporting neck.
• Wringing out the waistline, start to twist opposite shoulder to opposite knee, while keeping everything lifted.
Pro Tip: Think more of a twist with your upper body and less of a lift. You can even start slow and pick up speed.
Reps: Alternate 20 times
Targets: Abs with focus on obliques
• Prop yourself up on forearms with elbows directly under shoulders, and shoulders reaching away from ears. Round through your spine, creating a concave feeling through your abdominal wall.
• Raise legs to a diagonal so that toes are in line with eyes. As you externally rotate legs, engage though abdominals and cross ankle over ankle and continue to switch.
Reps: Alternate 20 times
Targets: Entire abdominal wall
• Lie flat with legs straight up over hips. Lift head, neck, and shoulders off the floor as high as you can.
•Reach both hands around one calf or hamstring to assist with a slight stretch towards the body while splitting the opposite leg down at a 45 degree angle.
Pro Tip: Keep upper body still, and just focus on moving the legs.
Reps: Alternate legs to complete 20 reps
Targets: Entire abdominal wall
We’ll be hosting Coachella themed classes throughout the month of April at our Beverly Hills Studio. Sign up for your spot below! Don’t live near a studio? Create your own Coachella inspired mashup workout here.